Batting Third
Batting Third
Pirate Baseball
Monday, August 30, 2004

Gammons on the Bucs

In his latest article, Peter Gammons devotes the typical 15 words in a 5,000 word article to the Pirates. But he did say 2 things I wanted to quickly comment on.

First, Gammons reports that the Giants claimed Jose Mesa on waivers, thus "keeping him from the Cubs." He seems to imply that the Pirates and Cubs had a deal in the works for Mesa. That would have been great news. I only hope that Littlefield can work out a deal with the Giants. Maybe Mesa for a 28 year old AA 4th outfielder? If thats too steep, I'd settle for an autographed game used Barry Bonds bat.

The second comment is really Red Sox blurb, but I'll give Gammons the benefit of the doubt. Gammons reminds us of the ridiculous trade Littlefield almost made last year, dealing Mike Gonzalez to Boston for Brandon Lyon. According to a scout, Gonzalez is "as tough on left-handed batters as any lefty reliever other than Billy Wagner." High praise indeed, and more evidence to my claim that Gonzalez should be getting the big innings out of the pen.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home






Lost Pirate of the Week
Tony Bartirome




Web Batting Third

Powered by Blogger