Batting Third
Batting Third
Pirate Baseball
Monday, August 09, 2004

Sorry...

...for the rash of political posts lately. This is first and foremost a baseball blog. However, as the election nears, I can't help but stray from the topic of baseball on a semi-regular basis. There's so much out there to talk about.

Blogs are doing alot of the heavy lifting in this political campaign. I think the major media outlets are tied by their symbiotic relationship to the 2 parties. In order to maintain their access, most major media outlets water down the reporting. There really is no such thing as an 'investigative reporter' anymore. The outlets simply regurgitate the day's sound bites and talking points. That seems to be what the public likes to read anyway. Then the late night talking heads spin spin spin.

It's no different in the sports world, in fact it's much worse. I find that I can no longer tolerate many of the major sports outlets, such as SportsIllustrated, ESPN, or even the local newspaper columnists. If the mainstream reporters write anything negative, they risk losing their access. So it's left to the independant writers, the bloggers, to come up with the interesting angles and in-depth analysis that the newspapers and cable networks aren't reporting. Casual sports fans will stick with the major outlets, but the real fans are gravitating to the blogs. (Not this one....but the Aaron Gleemans and Will Carrolls of the world.)







Lost Pirate of the Week
Tony Bartirome




Web Batting Third

Powered by Blogger