Batting Third
Batting Third
Pirate Baseball
Thursday, September 23, 2004

More alarming news

2 pieces of alarming news for the Bucs...

First, according to team sources, Jon Van Benschoten has been shut down for the year due to shoulder fatigue. Although this seems like yet another setback against the Pirates' plan to build with young arms, I'm not too concerned over this. While shoulder stiffness is nothing to sneeze at, I think its a great idea for the Pirates to shut down JVB for the year. (I think they might want to give him some AB at 1b, but that's a topic for another day.) Don't forget that JVB was a short reliever in college, therefore it's not surprising that he should start to wear down at this point in the season. Every year he should get marginally stronger.

I'm still alarmed by what I perceive to be poor mechanics. I think he may be headed for trouble down the road if he doesn't reduce the stress on his arm by using more of his lower body. It wil be interesting to see if he arrives in spring training with some improved mechanics. Of course, I haven't heard anyone on the Pirates staff or in the local media say a word about this, so I'm sure he won't.

The other bit of bad news was the report that Kip Wells had a third MRI on his 'inflamed' elbow and is sending the results to Dr. James Andrews. According to team doctors, his injury has improved with rest, but Wells requested another MRI. I see 2 possible outcomes:

#1. Dr. Andrews says that there is no damage to the ligaments in Wells' elbow, and prescribes rest and rehab in the off season. Wells follows the treatment, shows up in spring training, and has his elbow flare up after his 2nd or 3rd spring start. He then has Tommy John and is never seen in a Pirates uniform again as his contract expires while he is rehabbing.

#2. Dr Andrews recommends that Wells have surgery right away. Wells isn't seen back on the mound until spring training 2006.

Either way, anytime you hear the words "Dr. James Andrews", "third MRI", and "inflamed elbow" all in the same report, you can pretty much assume its cutting time. In fact, now may be a good time to read the article I linked earlier today.


3 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hhhaaaaachoooooo! sorry, i sneezed at your shoulder stiffness comment...

and i agree that those three phrases in a sentence are a bad thing - one time Dr. James Andrews and I went to a bar called The Inflamed Elbow and orderd a thrid MRI (Martini, Rum, and Ironcity) after our first two. There was strage things afoot at the Circle K that night I tell you.

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger bkopec said...

That was the best comment I've ever read.

 
At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home






Lost Pirate of the Week
Tony Bartirome




Web Batting Third

Powered by Blogger