Batting Third
Batting Third
Pirate Baseball
Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Steelers perspective

Much has been written about the impressive wins the Steelers put together against the otherwise undefeated Patriots and Eagles. But to really put in perspective how impressive those victories were, you have to look at what those 2 teams have done in the games just before and just after they played the Steelers.

Clearly, the Steelers didn't catch these teams while they were struggling. The Steelers simply man-handled 2 very talented teams that were on a roll of their own. I'm afraid to say anything more.


10 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pure garbage. The Pats weren't struggling? The Steelers played well against NE, but the Pats were without Corey Dillon, who has been huge for them all season. The Steelers took advantage of some opportunistic defense, and BR has been good, but they haven't won anything yet. Injuries happen, and you play with the team you've got and against the team on the other side. But, with a more healthy squad, the Steelers may win, but it's not a confidence inspiring blowout. Let's keep some perspective here.

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear anonymous pats fan,
we'll see you in the playoffs...if you make it. you probably are so brainwashed that you think the pats lost on purpose just so they'd be motivated for the playoffs.

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, that's what I think. The Pats lost intentionally for motivational purposes. Very astute.

All I'm saying is that to make the claim that the Steelers caught the Pats when they weren't struggling is a misstatement. You'll note I didn't take anything away from the Steelers, I claimed they probably still would have won, but it wouldn't have been nearly as lopsided. I pity you, fool.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger bkopec said...

only a new england fan would describe a team on a 20 game win streak as struggling

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah i thought it was very astute b/c I just assumed you were another idiot, loudmouth NE fan who is convinced that your coach is the 2nd coming of Lombardi. ok, so you didn't have Corey "steelers always contain me" Dillon playing that day. would it really have made a difference? Just b/c you didn't take anything away from the steelers win, that doesn't mean that you have a point. Were the Eagles struggling too. using your logic, both teams just had a bad week. the media in philly is crediting that fact more than the steelers dominance and from what i hear so is the NE media. just accept your team was exposed and exploited for their weaknesses.

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm clearly an idiot. I'm totally a huge loudmouth, you've gotten me right on. The Patriots are nothing, and the Steelers are almighty. Good argument you've put forward, I didn't realize that I was debating the "Steelers are great, everyone else blows!" guy. Win something, and then get back to me. I'm still looking at 2 of the last 3 Super Bowl championships, chump.

Now that I've brought the debate down to your level, do you feel better? I hope the Steelers bandwagon didn't nick you on the way by. Is your Terrible Towel still in it's wrapper? Is it that new? I know quite a few Steelers fans, and not one of them is as unknowlegable to put forward the (lack of) argument that you did. All of the Steelers fans that I know are insightful and have a good understanding of the game and the history. They know much better than to post the stuff that you did. It almost sounds like you're a woman, with your level of football understanding...oh, now I get it. Sorry, ma'am.

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow great argument...did you get your GED recently or something? let's see:

1. name calling
2. insults
3. no facts

yup, sounds like a NE fan to me.

bring the debate down to my level you say? i didn't know we were in a debate...it's clear who won the game statistically and physically there's no debate about it. would you like me to play up to your level? ok here goes - waaaah, you're a girl...waaahhh you're a bandwagon fan. why are you getting so upset? b/c your little streak ended? or are you one of those fantasy football guys that thinks he can run a team better than most coaches? i didn't say the steelers are great and everyone else sucks. i'm a bandwagon falcons and eagles fan if anything else after rooting for the steelers. i'm a football fan who just happens to have the steelers as his favorite team.

other than maybe twice in his career, corey dillon has had no impact on a game against the steelers. so to say he would have made a difference, is just simple monday morning QB-ing. the sad thing is most of the team is hurt and they were playing backups and still won. except for a meaningless TD at the end of the game, where do you see the pats doing anything in the game? was it the rushing yards...oh wait, there were none. or how about the pass...oh yeah, other than when the steelers were in a prevent D, there weren't too many big plays. sorry buddy, see you in the AFC champ. game back here in January.

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you didn't know this, but this is Dillon's first year with the Pats. For the last few years, he played for the Bengals, who are from Cincinnati. That's in Ohio. The reason that Dillon hasn't done anything against the Steelers is because the Bengals are terrible. Dillion is averaging .6 yards more per carry this year than he has in his career, and about .8 YPC more this year than his career if you ignore 1997. It's not even worth arguing about anymore, frankly. You can't argue against rhetoric, and frankly I don't even care that much. I've been a Pats fan for 20+ years, I can remember when they didn't get broadcast on TV in Boston because of the blackout rule. That makes me bandwagon, though. The Steelers are the best team ever. There. The Patriots winning 2 of the last 3 championships was pure luck. The fact that the Pats and Steelers have the same record is garbage. The Steelers are great. Whatever......when they win something, let me know. I was in PIT when the Pats spanked the Steelers in 2001, and I had to listen to the same garbage being spewed from Steelers fans. You guys are the best. Way to go. Actually, I'm not dumping on Steelers fans, who are traditionally good fans and good people. I should be sarcastic in their direction. YOU'RE the best. I hope the Steelers win FOR YOU. Hero.

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - it looks like hooked on phonics worked for you!

oh cry me a river - "I remember when the pats were blacked out and we had to huddle around our transistor radio and listen to the pats lose...boo hoo hoo..."

I remember when I used to have to walk to school in the snow up hill both ways too.

Look, you got beat, just admit it. It's not that hard...I have to do it every baseball season.

 
At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! Texas hold em blind rule

 

Post a Comment

<< Home






Lost Pirate of the Week
Tony Bartirome




Web Batting Third

Powered by Blogger