Batting Third
Batting Third
Pirate Baseball
Tuesday, December 07, 2004

The Josh Fogg problem

The Pirates have a Josh Fogg problem.

Don't get me wrong. Fogg is a decent enough pitcher who belongs in the major leagues and is good enough to play a role on a contender.

Over the last 3 years, he's given the Pirates a good chunk of innings. Much has been made of the fact that he is the only Pirate pitcher to have 10 or more wins each of the last 3 seasons.

Unfortunately for the Pirates, he is arbitration elligible this year. Based on what I just told you, and based on the market established by the Benson signing, Fogg is going to get a huge raise. I wouldn't be surprised if he was awarded between $3 - $4 million. The problem is that Fogg is not a $3 million pitcher. He's not a $2 million pitcher.

Josh Fogg is a nice pitcher at $1 million. He's an ok pitcher at $1.5 million. But Josh Fogg is exactly the type of player that the Pirates should not give $3 million to. Why? Because Fogg is a replaceable talent. The Pirates have several cheap in house options that are probably superior to Fogg.

Why do I bring this up? Peter Gammons mentioned Fogg as a possible non-tender. That is NOT going to happen. I've heard Littlefield mention Fogg's name prominently in the teams plans for the rotation next season. In his mind, it's not even a question.

I've said it time and again, teams like the Pirates can not afford to pay a premium for replaceable talent. I hope this isn't how they choose to spend the Kendall savings.


3 Comments:

At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

didn't we just get josh fogg in a trade from the A's...oh wait, that was fogg part 2, M. Redman. no way should we pay to keep him...but we have to think, "is there a better option out there at a lesser value?" Is there, i don't know. but if this is the financial flexibility Littlefield was talking about, I don't want to see what he has in store for catcher or 3B

 
At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fogg is a replaceable commodity. The Pirates should Never, I repeat NEVER pay Fogg as much as 2 million a a year.

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home






Lost Pirate of the Week
Tony Bartirome




Web Batting Third

Powered by Blogger