Pro Bowl Steelers
6 Steelers were named to the pro bowl yesterday: Faneca, Hartings, Ward, Porter, Farrior, Polamalu. At the risk of being run out of town, I have to point out that Ward and Porter do not deserve the honor this season. Both are having good seasons, but Porter disappears for long stretches and is not back to his 2001-2002 level of play. Ward simply doesn't have the numbers this season to compare to the many great receivers in the AFC.
Now that I've gotten that off my chest, let me say that Aaron Smith and Ben Roethlisberger both deserve a place in the game. Yes, I know that I just argued that Ward doesn't have the "numbers" then pointed to 2 players who also don't have pro bowl numbers. But QB and 3-4 defensive ends are 2 positions where statistics don't tell half the story.
2 Comments:
I agree with your porter comment b/c 90% of the time you don't realize he's on the field. Ward, well, he gets to go just like Ripken used to get voted as a starter all the time when he didn't really deserve it. Maybe it's just the fans way of showing some respect for Ward as one of the game's greats.
As for Ben, well, he got his 2nd team assignment for the pro-bowl. i don't think he deserves a starter position in the PB - Peyton is having a crazy year and record breakers always have a stronger argument in all star games. Ben will have plenty more opportunities to get that starting pro bowl appearance (i hope!) and he's certainly headed for NFL ROTY.
In my meager research, i haven't found any other city that had the MLB and NFL ROTY in the same year.
i dont thnk ben should be the starter, but he deserves a place over tom brady this season. (no slight to tom brady intended)
Post a Comment
<< Home