Batting Third
Batting Third
Pirate Baseball
Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Peyton Manning, MVP

Peyton Manning was rightfully announced as the NFL MVP today. He was a near unanimous decision, getting all but 1 first place vote. The other first place vote was cast for...

Dante Culpepper
Drew Brees
LaDanian Tomlinson
Ben Rothlisberger
Brett Favre
Terrell Owens
Donovan McNabb
Tom Brady
Curtis Martin
Shawn Alexander
Michael Vick.

MICHAEL VICK??? Did I miss the announcement that the league MVP will be voted on by elementary school children? Is it even remotely possible that anybody, whose only job is to watch and write about NFL football games, could honestly say that Michael Vick was the most valuable player? I can't even form a half-baked excuse for why Vick can be considered the MVP.

If your ballot had Michael Vick as the MVP, you should not only lose your voting rights, you should lose your job and be subject to ridicule. Vick over Manning? Come on! That's not even trying.





6 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These writers sometimes have a chip on their shoulder for one reason or another and if you know that everyone is voting for Manning you cast a vote for whoever. Maybe this guy hates the Manning family b/c Archie blew off an interview years ago? Maybe this guy was snubbed by Payton? Maybe he just doesn't want Payton to go down as an unanimous winner? Maybe it was the write for the Atlanta Constitution Journal? Who knows...it happens in congress too...they know the vote will pass unanimously but will cast a dissenting vote just to show that there was some aspect or faction that did not approve.

But Manning deserves it hands down.

 
At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard several sportscasters argue that Vick should have won the award hands down. If it were not for Vick, the Falcons might go 3-13. Whereas the Colts could probably make the playoffs without Peyton Manning (although I honestly have no idea who their backup QBs even are)

Peyton Manning is unquestionably the "player of the year," but that's different than "most valuable player."

But, I'm just playing devil's advocate. Of course I think Manning deserves the award. (especially since my preseason bet on him raises my betting pool to $469, from $200 at the beginning of the season...and it honestly might be $600 by now if I could have stopped myself from betting on baseball and college football, neither of which I can do well)

Rob

 
At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought this was a Pirate/Baseball blog?

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger bkopec said...

75% of the posts are about the Pirates. I reserve the right to write about other crap though.

As for Vick, it doesnt make sense to me to say that the falcons would be 3-13 without him. it would entirely depend on who takes his place. and there are at least 6-7 qbs i can quickly name who would make the falcons a better team right now.

 
At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

more like 73.8%

I'm going to start a Stoffa blog soon...details coming..

 
At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your green bay packers hat blog! Check out my green bay packers hat forum for lots of great green bay packers hat info.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home






Lost Pirate of the Week
Tony Bartirome




Web Batting Third

Powered by Blogger