Duffy and McLouth
Dejan's latest is an expose on camp invitees and outfield prospects Chris Duffy and Nate McLouth. In the online frontpage teaser for the article, it is said that:
McLouth and Duffy could be the team's most promising prospects since Barry Bonds and Jose Guillen.
Wow. That's quite a statement. I'm assuming that it's implying 'outfield prospects' and not prospects in general. Since Bonds made his debut in 1986, and Duffy and McLouth are 24 and 23 years old respectively, let's take a look at some of the other home-grown outfield prospects who have made their debut with the Pirates on or before their year 24 season, since 1986.
(in order of their debut)
Tommy Gregg
Orlando Merced
Moises Alou
Scott Bullett
Al Martin
Midre Cummings
Ben Shelton
Jermaine Allensworth
Trey Beamon
Adrian Brown
Emil Brown
Chad Hermansen
Tyke Redman
JJ Davis
Hmmm. So what do we have here? I see a handful of #1 picks and big time prospects. I also see a couple of guys only hardcore Pirates fans would remember. I see one legitimate impact player, who ironically, was traded for a bunch of magic beans.
In the end, 20 years of home-grown outfield prospects has essentially netted the Bucs 2 long-gone, typically average major league players (Merced, Martin) and one guy who will probably live out his days as a #4 outfielder (Redmen).
Keep in mind that these are the guys who made their debuts on or before their age 24 season. Duffy turns 25 this April and has never played above AA, while McLouth turns 24 just after the end of the season. If this is the best the Pirates have to offer, I'll just have to temper my enthusiasm.
Fortunately, in opposition to the frontpage teaser, the article itself bears more of the patented Dejan balance that we came to expect in his days covering the Penguins. Still, pardon me if I cast a skeptical eye at yet more Bucco 'hot prospects.' At this point, I don't really want to hear about anybody until they demonstrate their skills at the major league level.
1 Comments:
Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP Texas divorce terms argos lowest price mp3 players Somba dance steps Bariatric surgery for weight loss u-line refrigerators Parental control for broadband power scan virus Mississippi affiliate programs Paris hilton new tape pics Save up to 75 on last minute cruises Designer site thailand web Kathy lee gifford frank gifford divorce bedroom refrigerators Amsterdam+botox Ancient chinese games org edu average freezer Paxil prozac
Post a Comment
<< Home