Hat, meet ring
The Pirate blogosphere is awash in 2005 predictions, and since I'm never one to miss a party:
NL East:Phillies
Marlins
Braves
Mets
.
.
.
Nationals
The Nationals clearly are the worst team in this division. I expect them to lose 95+ games. The rest all can reasonably expect a .500, though I don't quite think the Mets will get there. And yes, I realize predicting the Braves for 3rd is akin to predicting the sun won't shine.
NL Central:Cardinals
Cubs
Brewers
Reds
Pirates
Astros
Ok...out on a limb a bit. This differs slightly from my early off-season predictions, but things have changed. I think the Cardinals are definitely due for a little slippage, but they still stand as the class of the division. The Cubs have a shot at the wild-card. The rest of the division will be miserable with the Astros all getting old at the same time.
NL West:Padres
Dodgers
Colorado
Giants
Arizona
I think the Padres pitching will carry them through in the West. My general impression is that the Dodgers are heading for a very disappointing season, but I really can't pick them to finish below any of these other teams. Colorado is, well, if not the Pirates of the West, then maybe the Reds of the West. Rarely horrible, though never quite average. Everyone is greatly overrating the Giants this year, though this pick could look awfully foolish if Bonds somehow manages to suit up for 120 games. Arizona spent a lot of money in vain.
NL Summary: The NL East appears to be set up for a terrific race and is certainly the best division overall. Any of the top 3 teams could take the division. The Cardinals are still the best team in the NL, and should waltz into the playoffs. The Padres are playoff fodder. Cubs take the wildcard due to the easy Central schedule even though I think the Marlins and Braves are actually better teams.
MVP: Al Pujols
Cy Young: Jake Peavy
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home